For those schedule to participate in speed-dating, bring all the material you intend to use to present yourself in your meeting with the editors, art directors and art buyers. Include:
- The selection of images you are considering or have already put together in a portfolio
- A leave-behind promotional card
Write down the three things that you hope to come away with from these meetings and which of the guests are of particular interest to you and way and submit this for credit in the course.
If you are not paricipating in the speed-dating, please bring a design for a leave-promotion card that you would use as a leave behind.
You second multimedia piece on DVD or CD. Please include your first piece and the new video on two CD or DVD. One I will be submitting to the photo department.
Post at least an additional entry regarding your new multimedia piece on the class blog and use twitter, Facebook, e-mails and word of mouth to increase traffic to the blog. We’ll see what changes we can discover from your promotional efforts over the past two weeks. Include links to your own existing website or blogs on the new blog so that you can measure traffic to your own respective sites. You should each have a minimum of two entries on the site by the next class session.
Here are some resources that should help with respect to the things that Ophelia shared with you in terms of social networking as a marketing tool.
As a group create a blog that will focus on the work that each of you are doing on your next multimedia piece. Each photographer has to contribute one entry on the blog by the next class session. Include link to your own website or blog. Please send me the URL for the blog as soon as it becomes available.
Blogs Mentioned in Class
Other Blogs Worth Check out Regularly
Load the java script for Google Analytics to your blog and website. There will be link to below as to how to do this. Please do this well before the next class session so that we can examine the traffic you are beginning with in your site. It takes anywhere between 24 – 48 hours for data to begin accumulating.
Write two query letters addressed to me pitching me two ideas for your next multimedia piece, which will be based on something you are “passionate” about besides photography. Download the query letter linked below and use this as a model. The letter could be on your letterhead and should be treated as if it were a query you were pitching to a magazine.
The structure of the letter should be 3 paragraphs which include:
- The Hook – The one element that makes this story interesting and worth telling. Emphasize a particular and unique aspect of the story that makes it intriguing and worth the interest of the editor.
- The Elaboration – Provide detail of what the story will consist and establish why it would of interest to the editor and its readership. For the purposes of this assignment assume that I share the same interest as the topic of your story.
- The Closing – Identify why you are uniquely qualified to tell this story. What is about your professional history or personal experience that makes you the ideal candidate for this project.
Watch this Keynote speech by Chase Jarvis which was occurred last week at PhotoEast.
Query Letter (Download from Public iDisk folder)
Google Analytics Sign-up (You need a G-Mail account)
Google Analytics Basic Tutorial
How to install Google Analytics on a Blogger Account
How to install Google Analytics on a WordPress account
How to install Google Analytics on Tumblr