Welcome to the Working Photographer Course for Spring 2011. I look forward to working with you in the coming weeks. I’ve provided you a copy of the syllabus, but feel to download the a PDF version from my public iDisk folder.
Part 1. Create a blog specifically for this class and add the Google Analytics java script. If you currently have a website, add the java script to your existing site. You’ll find information on how to do this below.
Part 2. Interview 2 photographers, one person who you feel is successful and another one who you see as struggling. Interview them and write 1000 words on your assessment of why each of them is doing or not so well in growing their careers. On the first page in the upper right hand corner right your name, the course name and the deadline date for the assignment. Submit the work double spaced, with Times Roman font, 12 point. Staple or clip the pages at the upper left hand corner. Include the photographers business card and promo card with the assignment if possible.
Part 3. Come in with 3 ideas for the personal project you with to produce this term. Be prepared to present your ideas to the class for discussion.
Questions to consider for your conversation?
How long of you been in business as a photographer? Part time? Full time?
What kind of work do you specialize in? Editorial? Advertising? Commercial?
What are the biggest strengths of your business? What do you think you could be doing better?
What do you know know that you wish you knew when you started as a photographer?
Here are some resources that should help with respect to social networking as a marketing tool.
- 10 Blogging, Twitter and Podcasting Tips for Photographers – Scott Bourne.
- Top 100 Photographer on Twitter
- WeFollow (a great source for finding groups and categories and to track your own ranking in the twitterverse)
- Photographers and Social Networking (An excellent post by the blogger of Conscientious Extended)
Google Analytics How Tos
- Google Analytics Sign-up (You need a G-Mail account)
- Google Analytics Basic Tutorial
- How to install Google Analytics on a Blogger Account
- How to install Google Analytics on a WordPress account
- How to install Google Analytics on Tumblr
Other Blogs Worth Check out Regularly
- A Photo Editor
- En Foco ( A collective of photographers of color based in NYC)
- 500 Photographers
- Jasmine DeFoore (Photo Marketer)